Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Steven Sick (again)

This is "Virus: Round 3" since school started for Steven who doesn't attend.

He had a big week planned with lots of stuff going on, but he managed only to make it through Monday afternoon's sewing class before he was down for the count.

This is potentially trans-formative for him though. It seems like he is understanding how much good food, rest and exercise (and hand-washing) play a big part in his overall health. That is a life lesson that far exceeds any other goal we set up for him this year, and hopefully one that is being etched deeply. It is no fun to be sick when you're a kid, but really no fun to be sick over and over again.

We did get his workbook I ordered. It is a DK book helping with math skills to accompany his Saxon math curriculum that is becoming a little overwhelming for him. I totally believe the children when they say they aren't ready for a task by either telling me verbally or exhibiting signs of distraction or frustration. I'm not going to promote to Steven that he must continue work that is discouraging for him, but I'm not going to let him give up too quickly on it either; thus, a satisfying and somewhat easy workbook with big happy fonts and cute pictures. Offering small successes is a key to supporting his development, I think. This is all new for him, book learning, and I want him to know books are a significant key to finding stuff out, not a detriment to personal exploration.

Anyway, what we didn't do yesterday was a class at the local metro park and his drama workshop at the library, and what we aren't doing today is going to gym class or Taekwondo.

But, as he laid around healing his bod yesterday he did watch some dvds I found at the library about Understanding the Universe, (plus "Gremlins" and "Transformers 2"), and today he is playing Runescape and resting as much as he can.

Together we are reading: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick


3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how life's lessons present themselves to our children? I think as parents we try to protect our kids from the mistakes we made growing up but how else are they supposed to learn the lessons we learned...I am all for making mistakes...as long as we learn from them. :) I hope Steven is up and active again soon...this sickness sucks (for lack of a better word).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Steven! We wondered why we didn't see you today. Hope he gets bettery very soon.
    BTW...how is the Hugo book? I've looked at it several times at the library but we haven't brought it home. Liam is reading the new Kate DiCamillo right now. I think he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hil, yup and these are the things they take with them. I don't remember a damned thing about math or science, really, but I do know so many other vital life-y things.

    Hi Jen, We missed you guys! The Hugo book is okay, we started The Life of Pi last night on a whim and I think we're going to switch out for a bit. Loved Edward Tulane, what's the new book written?

    ReplyDelete